Tradition of quarries and stonecutting has an ancient roots in the Karst and is a fundamental element of the local cultural and historical wealth. The stone, the basic building material, which once gave locals predominantly shelter, is now gaining value again, not only on the basic, functional level, but also on the artistic level, since the outline of the heritage is intertwined with the shades of contemporary art.
The stone festival is a central event in the broader strategy of developing new tourist products, experiences and innovations in the field of stonecutting.
The main innovations that we are introducing in connection with the development of new and innovative tourist products are as follows:
- Organization of a new competition for the pre-selection of the EuroSkills European competition is a unique event in Slovenia and the region where the best young stonecutters will compete
- Introduction and implementation of the annual international stonecutting symposium
- Establishment of an interactive exhibition of stonecutting for the public, including an unforgettable dinner in the Lipica quarry
- Organization of interactive workshops on construction of karst walls
- Establishing an interactive international online portal.
Our mission is to preserve the tradition of stonecutting and to encourage young people to engage in stonecutting. By transferring knowledge and tradition, jobs in the field of stonecutting are created in the economy, which means that the autochthonous stone is processed and creates higher added value.